BBS operator rights -- a paper

From Current Underground Digest Volume 5 : Issue 70. CuD FTP sites
appended below. A paper by [email protected](Jonathan Bell) on BBS
operator & user rights. Somewhat speculative: points out existing legal
framework is woefully inadequate to deal with this `fundamentally new
category' combining `the mass communications functions of publisher,
distributor, broadcaster, advertiser and utility rolled into one'.
(imagine the revolutions of the telephone, television, printing press
combined -- that's one of my analogies)

>It may seem shocking for [BBS] users today to learn that more than ever they
>are responsible for what they write and what they distribute.

he has it backwards -- now, *less* than ever (with things like
cyberspatial anonymity). I guess he's got a point though.

>The media lessons of copyright, privacy and
>defamation still are being taught on the networks today. They will
>continue as more people log on to the networks at hand, spreading
>their personage electronically.

actually, I think societal attitudes on `libel' `slander' and
`defamation' and `sedition' (wink wink) are going to be radically
transformed over the next few decades.

1) a mere posting alone is meaningless, and people will begin to
understand that offense is in the eye of the beholder. if there is no
tracable author there can be no `responsibility' and no one should
overreact as if there is.

2) overreaction will decrease. in fact I see networks as sort of a
automatic PC (policitically correct) countering device. People that are
incredibly sensitive about sexist language or whatever the current
fashionable academic term is will tend to get flamed into oblivion.
Likewise people that overreact to anonymous spew. Likewise, however,
people that are prejudiced get nailed into a more moderate consensus
too. Rough humans will get to be increasingly polished by the
torrential downpour of cyberspace.

also, concepts of `copyright' will be radically transformed. the
situation will be such that the `netiquette' will evolve where authors
are required to include hypertext *pointers* to actual works, rather
than copying the work itself. In this way many diverse problems (such
as automatic updating, handling fee charging, etc.) are localized to
the correct location (the author himself).

However, I also foresee a great deal of future turmoil and turbulence
on all these topics. We will probably reach a crescendo of outcry about
the time the first unrestricted commercial networks appear, say, mid-to-late 90s.

===cut=here==