Escrow what ain't

   Extract from EFFector Online Volume 6 No. 1

        "... The briefers admitted that the proposed system is not really
 an escrow.  The agencies holding the key components will not have any
 duties or responsibilities to the Clipper users.  The escrows' obligation
 will be to the government, and they will be liable to Clipper users only
 under the Bivens doctrine, where any failure must be shown to be wilful.
 ..."

        If it isn't really an "escrow", why do we continue to use the
   term?

        If keys are, in effect, surrendered before the fact, why not
   call it the "key surrender system" when we write or speak about
   this miasma? Or any other term more nearly accurate than what it
   is not...

        Haven't seen a single post promoting tax evasion all day.
   How curious.

              internet      : [email protected]
                  Vanilla BITNET: XXCLARK@INDST
                   We're all Bozos on this bus...