Re: Does this seem illegal to you?

[email protected] (Matthew Gream) said:
>Although, it must be said that CDROM whitepages are available, and i'm
>ignorant of what limitations have been built into them to stop people
>(i.e. corporations) turning them into reverse directories.

In the U.S., you can buy CD-ROM white pages for the entire US for $99,
and the same database reverse-directoried for another $99. (Approximately;
this is from memory from a magazine ad I saw 4 days ago.)

Such things have been available on paper for a long time, but this media
and these prices will doubtless have social repercussions.

As before, people can make a point of having their address not listed
in any such directory, forward or reverse, if they're careful enough.

However, the need to do so probably increases as reverse indexing becomes
so vastly more available.
	Doug