Re: Standard Headers for Anonymous Remailers

uunet!indial1.io.com!mentor (Loyd Blankenship) writes:

> Cpunks:
> 	We've been kicking around the pros and cons of anonymous remailers
> here at io.com. One of the big problems is anonymous bombardment of a
> helpless newsgroup. This (and the problem of auto-screening anonymous
> mail) could be solved if there was a standard header keyword (or maybe
> even a new header field) that could be screened from a newsgroup. The
> group would have to be semi-moderated -- an automatic filter passes on
> all posts except those with the keyword in the appropriate header field.

Some people think that "the problem of auto-screening anonymous mail" refers
to other folks' desire to screen anonymous mail. If a significant fraction
of the net community responds to wider access to anonymity by filtering out
anonymous mail, my prediction (and suggestion :) is that people who truly
(a) wish to be heard, and (b) wish to be anonymous will resort to mail which
is non-obviously anonymous. Forging mail in the names of actual persons, and
using bits of real names to assemble real-looking pseudonyms (say, "Perry
Detweiler"?) would seem to be two solutions. Posters of that flavor of
anonymous mail might or might not make it clear that the posting isn't
actually who it purports to be from.

I think it's probably better for us to deal with this problem now, rather
than trying to hide from it with more shell scripts. Anonymity and its
connection with accountability, responsibility, and coercion is a social
issue, not a technological one. Technological attempts to address that
social issue (or ignore it) will fail.

--
Greg Broiles
[email protected]                     Baked, not fried.