PGP Business Week article

In case anyone is interested, there is a very sympathetic article in the Oct.
4, 1993 "Business Week" magazine about PGP and encryptation in general. It's
on page 43. I'll just hit the highlights, but check it out.

>Oddly, the crackdown on software {re:PGP} comes just as the administration is
>loosening export controls on computer hardware. But the schizophrenia may be
>more apparent than real."I don't think they've got the export policy together
>enough to be split", says a key congressional staffer..... "This is an area
>that has essentially been turned over to the spooks".

>Meanwhile, there is growing concern in congress about possible damage to
>exports. Quality encryptation software, "is available from foreign
>manufacturers... and is easily transmitted using only a long-distance
>telephone line and a modem," complained Representative Sam Gejdenson
>(D-Conn.) and a high-powered bipartisan group of collegues in a Sept. 20
>letter to the President.

>Still, the NSA can't stave off the inevitable for long. Gejdenson hopes to
>produce legislation by early next year to revamp government policy on high-
>tech exports. The result will probably include looser restrictions on
>encryptation software- and a victory for Phil Zimmermann in his battle to
>keep snoops out of his cyberspace.

Hee-Hee, write Rep. Gejdenson via compuserve or any other way and let him know
you support him on this one. I think if we keep at it we win.

Scott G. Morham              ! The First,
[email protected]  !            Second
                             !                   and Third
                             !                              Levels of
                             !               Information Storage and Retrieval
                             ! DNA,
                             !      Biological Neural Nets,
                             !                              Cyberspace