Re: PGP in FIDO

Al Billings writes:

>  Hasn't happened yet and the ECPA was passed in what? 1986? I really doubt
> if a BBS sysop is going to get nailed over someone's view of e-mail on
> their system.

There's a new consciousness of ECPA thanks in part to the efforts of EFF
and to Steve Jackson's successful ECPA case.

But, Al, the issue is less whether a particular sysop is going to be
prosecuted under ECPA than it is whether that sysop's conduct is *both*
legal and ethical.

Even if a sysop's policies fit within ECPA exceptions, it's dishonest to
justify such policies in terms of risks that don't exist. There is no
documented risk that a sysop will be at greater legal liability if he or
she allows encrypted mail.

--Mike