Re: The Bank of the Internet!?

writes Kasuga Jingoro:

>> Plenty. Find me a workstation with the sort of uptime a 3090 running
>> MVS will give you.
>
>Since you asked...  I don't know what the average uptime of a 3090 is,
>but from several years of experience as a Unix sysadmin, most of the
>Sun systems I've been involved with easily had uptimes ranging months
>at a time.  Powering down a system for maintenance or adding equipment
>was more common than crashes.  If you insist on promoting the reliability
>of the 3090, perhaps you'd be so kind as to cite some figures.  I'd
>hazard to guess though that a 3090 could be sufficiently mismanaged to
>produce dismal uptimes as well as a workstation can.

I have (well, I manage) a sun 4/280 server, and it was once up for
180 days straight, but we restarted it just because it had been up
for what we thought was a really long time...  In my experience, Big Blue
machines only talk to themselves correctly, and don't talk to much else.

Just my $0.02

-nate

+--------+                          Always remember "Brazil"