Dangers of skipping...my solution for now

Earlier I wrote about the dangers of skipping too many messages, of a
kind of "response cluster" when the same question gets answered
many times.

Somewhat making their point, several people have responded to me
privately saying they try to answer questions in e-mail and then let
the questioner summarize the responses in public, if he wishes.

Advantages of this approach:
- reduces repetitive answers (saves list bandwidth)
- questioner can synthesize from all answers

Disadvantages:
- others may want to see the answers and may, under this approach,
flood the list with "me too" lines (seen in many newsgroups, when
"send answer in e-mail" gets met by "Hey, I'd be interested, too"