Spread Spectrum Net

I have been reading with interest about a wide variety of conduits for signals
that could be used for a spread spectrum net (water pipes, power lines, radio
signals etc.). Is the electromagnetic signal which could be sent thru pipes and
electric power lines known as a carrier wave? I seem to remember a short story
by John Varley (The book of short stories is called 'Blue Champagne'), which
somewhat chillingly described what a newly evolved AI entity could do with a
spread spectrum net. To find out PRESS ENTER:

Scott G. Morham              ! The First,
[email protected]  !            Second
                             !                   and Third
                             !                              Levels of
                             !                 Information Storage and Retrieval
                             ! DNA,
                             !      Biological Neural Nets,
                             !                              Cyberspace