uniqueness

>what really is our assurance that all these email addresses actually
>exist and represent *unique* people? there really is very little currently.

I see no way to guarantee uniqueness of the person unless you manage to
incorporate some unique characteristic of a person (right hand print, for
example) into a digital signature.

PEM's key certificates might be an attempt to guarantee uniqueness but even
there I can cheat by having a second job under a second name, for example,
and getting a certificate in both.

 - Carl