Re: Crypto Anarchy (jrk@...)

  > Undoubtedly we could launch into a discussion of why it is anybody
 > with a pocket full of change can walk up to a payphone and leave a
 > variety of threats at the whitehouse switchboard - the phone
 > company need not fear having its equipment seized, while a computer
 > used in forwarding mail containing the same threats will probably be
 > taken along with anything else the SS feels like taking.

Did you forget that the phone companies have a long history of co-operation
with federal authorities ?

 > >Quick -- how many remailers have the support of the university?  How many
 > >boards of trustees -- at state universities, often linked to the government
 > >-- will back them, if the Secret Service ``requests'' that they be shut
 > >down.

 > Gee, I don't know.  Does the phone company have any government deals,
 > say to manufacture products using a government designed chip, that may
 > be at risk if its found out that phone company equipment is constantly
 > being used for threats??

The phone companies have agreements with law enforcement that amount to
the same thing!
The reason that Law enforcement wants chip level intervention capability
is that they fear loosing capabilities they already have!

LUX ./. owen