Re: why anon bank acct?

Stanton writes:

>> Avoiding taxes just doesn't cut it for me; much as I hate to pay them,
>> I recognise the need to do so.

>Need?  Need to keep from being arrested or fined, yeah I can see that.

Not at all.  I recognise that, however inefficient, taxes pay to maintain
the legal and physical environment that makes my life more comfortable.
There are many oppressive things about governments, but _by_and_large_
the US government is one of the least oppressive, and the vast majority
of the people who work in it are honest and well-intentioned.

What I hope comes out of groups like cypherpunks are ways to make the
government better and more responsive to the needs of the citizenry
(in other words, some good checks and balances), rather than petty
ways to avoid a few bucks in taxes.  Rather than aspire to join the
alleged clique of rich and powerful tax evaders, might it not be better
to aspire to develop techniques that both maintain privacy but guaran-
tee that they have to pay their share of the load.  Hint: develop
something that makes it worth their while.