Re: trusting software

[email protected] (Greg Broiles) said:
>It's not clear to me how you can trust systems not under your control to
>report on themselves or local conditions accurately. As your program gets
>more complex, aren't you going to run into an analog of the Turing
>machine/halting problem?

The idea is to encode the important-to-be-trusted features of the software
and the inter-machine protocol handshake together into the equivalent
of a Goedel number which acts as a public key during the protocol handshake,
so that any change to that core encoding of the functionality would have
the side effect that it was no longer able to communicate.

>It's an intriguing idea, but it's still very unclear to me how it might
>work on software of any real complexity.

Yeah...I'm having strong difficulties with doing it in a way that is
computationally feasible as well as theoretically sound. Several times
I thought I'd found the right approach but then found holes in it. So
I lied in implying that I really did have a final algorithm....I *thought*
I did, but I was wrong.
	Doug