pgp in the weirdest places!

Hello out there -

A friend of mine recently bought a computer and I've spent the past
couple days with him setting it up and stuff. Anyways, I've come across
some interesting stuff in his fax/modem software. In converting a
word processing text into a format the fax recognizes, I got a weird
file that seemed to be encrypted in pgp or something - I'm not sure
since I haven't seen pgp run on dos. That was no big deal but when I
scanned through the converted text I found various messages about pgp.
Some of it was obviously from the readme files but there was some other
stuff about some other Hughes guy (btw, I'm a newbie, so...) that wasn't
Eric. I'm not that familiar with pc so I couldn't really help him so
I'm calling on you guys. The software is called "Quick Link II" It
claims to be the "Next Generation in Communication Software" and
seemingly so. Its from Smith Micro Software Inc. and its being run
on yer average 486 sx20. I'll post the converted texts if there's
interest but in the meanwhile I am highly confused!