Re: Private and Public

     Hmmm... my post may well ignite some flames; but I can't go along with
the notion that this list is for purely tech discussion. Encryption is a
social and political issue as well as a technical one, isn't it?  I would
think that it's more dangerous to ignore the social and political
ramifications than to have them out publically.
    It seems to me that encryption poses LOTS of dilemmas for any
government. I chose just one -- taxes -- for my post. And looks like
there are quite a few viewpoints on that one, with regards to the
government's right to examine your income sources. The fact the encryption
schemes are classified as military  (or military-type) material and so
are subject to comparable controls by  the State Department should alert
us to this fact. So to insist that we  stick to Greatest Primes and
Modulo seems... unrealistic.
    Of course, if the discussion seems pointless or irrelevant to you...
there's always the delete key.
    My :9&53xS+ (= digital $.02) worth.