Should we build the Data Superhighway/NII

The business about replacing copper with optical fibre and who's going to
pay for it is a total red herring.  Currently, it's much cheaper for the
RBOCs to lay fiber than copper.  Over the whole nation, about 5% of the
wiring is replaced annually.  For at least the last two years, that
replacement has been 100% fiber and (IMNVHO) that trend will continue.  In
~20(*) years the whole country will be fiber without anyone doing anything
out of the ordinary.

(*) It's a little more than 20 years because there is some overlap in the
areas that get replaces; I.e. it's not a new 5% each year, but the overlap
is well under 1%.

--Alan Wexelblat, Reality Hacker, Author, and Cyberspace Bard
Media Lab - Advanced Human Interface Group	[email protected]
Voice: 617-258-9168, Pager: 617-945-1842	PUBLIC KEY available by request
Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.