OMNI CARD

I just got this from last night's edition of "BEYOND 2000" on the
discovery channel....

A Eurpoean banking system is experimenting and using a new card they
call the OMNI CARD.  What this does is provides some form of
authentication aside from the PIN number.

The procedure:

1)  You place your phone call to the bank and make your request.
2)  You type in your PIN number into the OMNI card (sort of a hacked
	calculator card, I suppose)
3)  The OMNI card generates a number from this which you verbally
	read to the bank.
4)  The bank clerk responds with a "Challenge Number" which you type
	into the OMNI card.
5)  The OMNI card generates a result from this number which you verbally
	read to the bank clerk.  If all is in check, this is proper
	authentication of who you are.

The purpose is to avoid having to read your actual PIN number aloud,
or type it in where someone can see you.

The OMNI card uses a random formula to calculate its numbers in conjunction
with the challenge number; supposedly this is different for each transaction.

A sample number which was displayed was:

Challenge Number:  28385180
Result          :  572738

The technology was sold to "two major US computer companies" recently.

I suppose this is some metamorphicly generated checksum.  Until someone
gets ahold of one of these OMNI cards and takes it apart...

Just FYI...