Clipper and the "Christian Right"

Grendel Grettisson <[email protected]> writes:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 1993, Clark Reynard wrote:
> > I think it would be very important if we could attempt to
> > sway the Christian right into this; it is certain we
> > probably don't agree on many issues, and the "700 Club"
> > anti-Clipper piece was very effective, good video.

> For those that watch the 700 Club. Personally, I'm opposed to anything
> that gives the Christian Right more power or puts them in the public eye
> more given their past track record.

You mean "their past track record that I don't agree with."  Sure,
many excesses have been committed in the name of the "Christian Right"
(whatever that is ... I'm supposedly a part of it and I've never seen
a coherent definition of what it is).  But the "Agnostic Left" has
probably committed a few excesses in its day, too.

Frankly, a coalition with people from a wide variety of political backgrounds
can only help to make the anti-Clipper cause seem more respectible.
Otherwise, the anti-Clipper folks might end up sounding like just another
liberal protest group, and be treated just like any other lobbying group.

> > If you don't believe me, watch it.  They almost seem
> > to agree with us entirely on the issue of cryptography.
> > Perhaps it's time for a _new_ group; the cyphermonks.
> > I nominate St. John the Divine as a patron saint.

> I thought the Christian Right didn't like Catholics or Saints either. It
> is a Protestant movement.

Not really.  From my experience, the "Christian Right" is composed of
conservative Christians -- both Protestant and Catholic.  It's only in
certain parts of the country where conservative Protestants and
Catholics are unfriendly ...

--Jim Huggins