DC-Nets

Jim McCoy has asked me about the DC-Nets references I have cited. Here
they are. The seminal Chaum articles are not cited--the main one has
been posted to this List more than once.

Clearly the Eurocrypt '89 book is the one to get. If your library does
not carry it, Springer-Verlag (1-800-SPRINGE) can ship it (and please
don't write to me asking for the ISBN!). Also, "Computer Literacy
Bookstore" in Sunnyvale (408 area code) usually has a bunch of these
Proceedings in various years and can also ship.

Disruption is the main problem addressed in these papers. Given the
malicious disruption we've seen on our List lately, it is of course a
very real problem. Even more so if and when DC-Nets get deployed and
some agents/entities seek to automate the disruption process (a likely
prospect, given the way they work).

A reminder to you all, even though I am not myself working on DC-Nets
(trying to program them in Mathematica is pointless, I think), that
there are several groups currently interested in DC-Nets:

* Jim McCoy and the Austing group (I think they run the DC-Net mailing
list...I'm on too many mailing lists, so I skipped this one)

* Henry Strickland (Strick) is interested, has plans, and is putting
together his crypto toolkit in TCL.

* Yanek Martinson, of whom little has been hear lately, was once hot
on doing this, and even got a basic DC-Net running.

Anyway, here are some important references:

- J. N. E. Bos and H den Boer, "Detecting Disrupters in the DC
Protocol," Eurocrypt '89, pp. 320327.

- M. Waidner and B. Pfitzmann. "The Dining Cryptographers in the
Disco," Eurocrypt '89, p. 690.

- A. Pfitzmann and M. Waidner, "Networks without User Observability,"
Computers and Security 6 (No 2, April 1987), pp. 158-166.

- B. Pfitzmann and A. Pfitzmann, "How to Break the Direct
RSA-Implementation of Mixes," Eurocrypt '89, pp. 373-381.

(In case you're curious, the Pfitzmanns are husband and wife.)

- J. N. E. Bos, "Disruption and Synchronization in Untraceable
Sending," in "Practical Privacy," the 1992 Ph.D. thesis of Bos.
Technische Universiteit Eindhoven (Netherlands).

(This little book is not published, in purchasable form. The relevant
chapter was included in the Xeroxed handout at the first Cypherpunks
meeting. You might be able to get the book by contacting Eindhoven
directly.)

--Tim

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.