Re: Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

a conscious being, Stanton McCandlish wrote:
> Pardon me, but this is preposterous.  You have here proposed that a
> many-to-many communications medium, which requires data service, is not a
> basic service despite its many benefits, but that cable and broadcast tv
> are, despite the obvious limitations (not to mention detrimental effects)
> of the medium.  I hate to even say this, especially to you, but that's
> just not a logical stance, especially for a networker.  I'm actually
> shocked to see you say that.

Data may become a basic service, some day, but the market is not
ready for it today.

I am against forcing companies to offer products that no one wants.
(no one = a major part of there market).

Current efforts like PSI IP over Cable and $500 Hayes modems that
can talk 230+ kbits per second (w/ compression|V.Fast) will provide
plenty of cheap networking for those who want it.

/hawk