Re: Encryption: A Testimonial

[email protected] (Timothy C. May) wrote:

> Also an argument for using stegonography, to obscure the fact that one
> has encrypted files. Companies or universities may have simplistic
> policies banning encrypion as a matter of policy, for various and
> sundry reasons, and may snoop through networked machines looking
> for encrypted files (high entropy, characteristic file types, etc.).
>
> Packing those sensitive resumes and job applications in an innocent
> photo of the dean may be a good idea.

Actually, you could fool a lot of people by creating a hidden disk
partition.  Nobody would know there was anything hidden unless they did
a detailed sector-scan of the disk.  Is there any good software for
doing this with modern operating systems?
It used to be real easy to do stuff like that in the old days when OS
were simple and hackable.  Once someone showed me a trick on an old,
old, Apple DOS; you could change one byte in RAM, and viola, a totally
new directory appeared on the disk!  Pretty cute trick.  Too bad things
ain't that simple anymore. :)