The Republic of Desire (anonymous organizations)

> Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 12:04:51 -0500
> From: "Alan (Gesture Man) Wexelblat" <[email protected]>
>
> This is kind of off-topic, but I thought the classic three-person cell was
> as follows:

>				  / \
>				 B - C
>				/     \
>			       D       G
>			      / \     / \
>			     E - F   H - I
>
> where a line shows cell membership.  So A commands a cell of himself, B and
> C but knows no one below.  A is either the leader, or is known by one member
> above.  B knows D is the leader of another cell, but does not know who E and
> F are (or even if they exist).  Similarly for C.
>
> This organization is vulnerable in two ways: any one person can give up
> three others; and the chain can be followed (e.g. compromising B can lead to
> compromising D and then to E, etc.).  Because information has to flow
> between the cells, there is potential for compromise.
>
> I can't think of a way around this problem.  If information flows from B to
> E, either B must know of E's existence or non-existence.

See R. A. Heinleins's ``Moon is a Harsh Mistress'' for some discussion
of this topic.
Chet Edelman "Truth is a blanket that leaves your feet out in the cold" D.P.S.
EMAIL: [email protected]
SNAIL: 1718 Ocean Avenue, Brooklyn NY  11230
VMAIL: (718) 338-1432