Re: Banning any subscriber

On Sat, 27 Nov 1993, Jim choate wrote:

> If this is truly a private list then you need to put more effort into being
> clear that this is a indivudualy supported mail-list and is not officialy
> associated w/ CypherPunks. I would offer the following protocol:

"Officially" associated with Cypherpunks? I don't know about where you
are but in most places in this country there is no "Official Cypherpunks
Organization." This LIST is the original basis of the Cypherpunks. From
there, some people who have other interested parties in their locales
have gone on to form local groups. This isn't like the Extropians who
have the Extropy Institute officially behind them.

> 1. User sends mail w/ 'subscribe' in the body.
>
> 2. The mailer responds w/ a numbered header.
>
> 3. The user is requied to copy the message from #2 completely and to append
>    'agree'.
>
> 4. The user is then added to the list.

Why bother?

> While it is true that some of you may see this as trivial but if you really
> want to keep CypherPunks an open forum and this list private (ensuring that
> they are seen as seperate entities) it is critical that this is made at every
> oppportunity.

What is the "CypherPunks" you are refering to if not this list? All
mailing lists are, by the very nature, semi-private forums. You have to
ask to get on them. If someone is disruptive, I see no reason they should
not be asked to leave. Of course, the idiot in question isn't even on the
list anymore. If you aren't the list, the list shouldn't accept your
postings and mail them to members. I see no reason why non-members of the
list should be able to mailbomb us all by sending to the list address.

| Al Billings aka Grendel Grettisson        | "You are, each one, a priest,  |
|                 [email protected]    |      Just for yourself."       |
| Sysop of The Sacred Grove (206)322-5450   |                                |
| Admin for Troth-L, The Asatru E-Mail List |             -Noble Drew Ali-   |