newsgroup v news-list

I have been mulling over the pro's and con's of both for a group such as this
and realy I don't see it makes a great deal of difference. The problem right
now to me is staying on topic (ie crypt and politics). Neither of these
forums will provide that kind of discipline w/o some kind of moderation.

Also, I would appreciate any more comments on the distinctions between this
mail list, CypherPunks as promoted in the media, and the CypherPunks as it
realy exists. I am intrigued by the various distinctions that I have recieved
in private mail (and they span the whole gamut of views). If one thing has
become clear is that everyone disagrees about what c-punks is and how it
works.