Re: Digital cash announced today by UK bank.

In message <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
> Apparently the Natwest Bank (or some spoonerism thereof) announced
> today that they were releasing digital cash in the form of some
> sort of smartcard.  I have no more details - does anyone else?

I saw this a few days ago in the Guardian.  Big front page
splash, and lots of radio coverage.  The system is called
"Mondex".  I'm looking into it, myself, as I know about as much
as you do.

Midlands Bank is cooperating in the scheme, which is not
surprising, as they already have shared-ATM agreements.

> Primarily I'm interested in knowing if it's *anonymous* digital
> cash - knowing our govt, I suspect it's unlikely to be.  Any new
> opportunities to track the masses are always gratefully received
> by the powers that be...

Interestingly, none of the press coverage even mentioned the
*issue* of privacy.  I've told Tom Burroughes at the East
Anglian Daily Times ([email protected]); he's deputy chief
reporter there, and was a speaker at ECFP '93.  He's looking
into it now; if you wish to speak to him, call 0473-230-023 and
ask for him in the newsroom.  He may be out, as he's also chief
court and legal reporter, but he always calls back.

I'll be calling Australia in a few minutes to see if I can raise
Simon Davies, who's out there on business.  Simon
([email protected]) is director of Privacy
International, and was another ECFP speaker... the most
well-connected privacy advocate I've ever met.

Russell Earl Whitaker                   [email protected]
Communications Editor                                 AMiX: RWhitaker
EXTROPY: The Journal of Transhumanist Thought
Board member, Extropy Institute (ExI)
    Co-organizer, 2nd European Conference on Computers, Freedom and
    Privacy, London, October 1994