Inman vs. crypto

Bobby Inman has just been nominated as the new secretary of defense.
When he was director of NSA, he was not, as I recall, particularly
sympathetic to private-sector cryptography.  In fact, he tried to
institute a review process for civilian cryptographic papers.

His nomination is subject to confirmation by the Senate, after review
by the Armed Services committee.  While in my opinion it's unlikely
that his nomination will be blocked, the hearings would be an excellent
time to question him on this subject.  Contact your senator (this is
for U.S. residents only, of course...), especially if he or she is
a member of that committee.