No Subject

From: James Hicks, <[email protected]>

Well, a couple of nights ago I was sitting here using my modem, I had just finished perusing the C'punks list, when I heard about 5 shots ring out in the alley next to my home.  A few lines of garbage zapped across the screen and then the modem was totally unresponsive.  Well, I picked up the phone (another line); dead silence.

[You guessed it.  One of the bullets hit the phone line.  ASCII armor was no defense].

Not wanting to go through the night totally out of contact with the rest of the world, I decided to place a call to the phone co. from a nearby neighbors place but decided to sit tight for a few minutes to foil traffic analysis (and give whoever it was running around out there in the dark with the gun a little time to move on).

After the sun rose about 10 shell casings were actually found within a few feet of the line break (about 30 residences actually had service interrupted).  And It's usually so quiet around here.  My neighbor says that a policeman told him that local entrepreneurs will sometimes use fire guns into the air to signal potential customers that they are open for business.  Secure communications...who knows?  It is _sort_ of digital...

>James<
[email protected]