Risk and Opportunity

Peter Baumbach posted on Jan 3:

    I stumbled onto a pair of programs called seejunk.exe and
    prune.exe this past week.  ...  There is also an opportunity here.
    Encrypted information could be stored at the end of your files.
    In other words this is an opportunity for steganography.  ...

    I don't have full access to the internet.  If someone finds these
    programs on the internet, can they post the location here.  If the
    files aren't on the internet, I can email them to anyone that
    wants to post them to the cypherpunk ftp site.

A backlevel version (2.2) of PRUNE is available on internet at both
GARBO and SIMTEL.

prune22.zip  GARB      9959  03-31-92  <fileutil>
         Overwrite unallocated "Tail End" of files, from Sydex
"   "   "    SIMT      9689  04-05-92  <dskutil>       B
         Clear out unallocated bytes at the end of file

To order from the GARBO e-mail server,

  To: [email protected]
  Subject: garbo-request

  send pc/fileutil/prune22.zip

However, there is a more recent version (2.3) on local BBS's here
(San Jose).

PRUNE23.ZIP  DCTL     10504  03-29-93
          Unbeknownst to you, DOS often puts data from
          your other files after the end of your files
          PRUNE allows you to clear this perhaps
          sensitive information out before you pass it
          on to your competitors. You know can pick the
          pattern to be written after the end-of- file,
          and there's now a "scan subdirectories "
          option too.  Version 2.3 of a free Sydex
          utility.
          Files: 4  Oldest: 3/4/93  Newest: 3/4/93

"   "   "    EGLN @   10905  11-21-93  [same description]
"   "   "    FDUT     10737  11-20-93  "     "      "
"   "   "    SNKP     10504  07-11-93  "     "      "

Two of the above BBS's also have the SEEJUNK utility:

SEEJUNK.ZIP  DCTL      9447  07-30-90
             Lets you see the junk appended to your floppy
"   "   "    FDUT      9345  10-01-91
             See the "junk" inside some of your executables.

Key to BBS Codes

DCTL  DC-to-Light                 408-956-0317
EGLN  Eagle's Nest                408-223-9821
FDUT  Flying Dutchman             408-294-3065
SNKP  Snakepit (aka Micro-Medic)  408-287-2454

All of the above support at least 9600 bps V.32.  I'll join Peter
in offering to download & send copies of these programs to anyone
who will put them on a public FTP site or mailserver.

Another program similar to the above is

WIPIT100.ZIP EGLN   14897  11-21-93
             WIPIT v1.00 8/2/93 Wipe all free space
             on your disk to prevent Undeleting files.
             Free for personal use.

which takes care of data left in free areas.

--
[email protected] (Edgar W. Swank)
SPECTROX SYSTEMS +1.408.252.1005  Cupertino, Ca