Bay area BBS bust--fyi

Eric, please put me back on the list.  Keith
------
About two years ago I helped a guy from Milpitias (just north of San
Jose) deal with a BBS bust at what he described as a "light" porn BBS.
The San Jose cops realized shortly that they had really goofed by not
considering the ECPA and related laws in their search&seizure.  The
result was that they gave his system back after five weeks, and stated
in a written release that this guy's activities were within the scope
of the law.  The BBS is called Amateur Action, and the sysop's name is
Richard Thomas (408-263-1079).

A few minutes ago Richard (who I have yet to meet in person) called. A
search warrant was being served at that very moment by the US Postal
Inspectors, who (with the help of San Jose cops) were packing up his
equipment and carting it out--again. Richard managed to get one of
these inspectors on the phone with me.  This inspector seemed to be
rather knowledgeable of such things as the ECPA, 2000aa, and the Steve
Jackson case.  He was completely unconcerned!  He piously stated that
it was their intent to bring the system back to Richard within a "few
days" and, as a result of the short interruption of user access, and
their good intent "not to look at private email," they were completely
safe from the provisions of the ECPA.  This postal inspector gave his
name as David Dirmeyes, from Tennesse (does this sound like Bible Belt
prosecution for pron?) and gave me the name of the US Attorney he was
working under, one Dan Newson with a phone of 901-544-4231 in TN
(though he stated that the phone # would be of no use because Dan was
at a conference for a week).

For what it is worth, the postal people were using the San Jose cops
on the bust because they did not have the expertise themselves to move
the system and make copies.  According to the investigator, they did
not know that they could get a court order to have a backup of the
system made on the spot.  It may be that Richard is the target, he
said there was a mystery package which came today in the mail today
(which his son brought in and his wife opened, but he had not gotten
around to seeing what it was) which seemed to the center of the postal
inspector's concerns.  (In spite of not meeting him, I suspect Richard
may be the kind of smart alec who attracts the attention of cops.)

I don't know if this is something of marginal concern to those of us
concerned with government abuse of people's computers and
communications or a major concern.  I intend to find out more
tomorrow, but if the ECPA is applicable, this guy had about 3500
users, over 2k pieces of protected email on his system, plus (I think)
agreements with his uses for him to represent them in an ECPA related
legal action--two million dollars if I am multiplying right tonight.
(My "Warning to Law Enforcement Agents" was part of his signup
screens.)

Keith Henson
408-972-1132
[email protected]