Re: Using the tools we have

> In article <[email protected]> you write:
> >
> >From [email protected]  Sat Jan 15 19:33:39 1994
> >From: [email protected]
> >Subject: Using the tools we have
> >To: [email protected]
> >
> >The detman has been blathering for weeks about how he will subvert the list
> >and we now see all sorts of rants impugning the reputations of certain
> >cypherpunks. Postings are reiterated with the message that so and so said
> >this or that and this person is a nazi, or some such drivel. I have no idea
> >who said what because many of the technowizards don't avail themselves of the
> One usefull thing that could be done, is to design a list, that will
> only post pgp-signed messages.  To  subscribe to the list, you send
> your pgp public key, and it sends back its private key.  In order
>  Jeremy Porter  -----------------  Systems Enginneering ----
>  Dell Computer Corp. --- [email protected] --------
>   Support your Second Amendment rights to encryption technology.

You've given me an idea.  I felt the edges of it when discussing my
plans for an endorsement message enhancement to Netnews/INN/Tin/...

Instead of controlling every message that gets posted, why don't we
instead allow email endorsements.  Each message has a unique message
id, is fairly easy to identify, and could of course be PGP signed.

What if we hacked a .procmailrc to 'mark' (Subject change?) or filter
messages that weren't marked properly (say they were signed but not by
the key you had for that person) OR those that received a later
endorsement (positive/neg/typing) from someone on your trusted list.

(ED: sorry for the long lines, I sometimes feel the thought is more
clear that way.)

Acting on an endorsement after you had received a message means
modifying a mailbox, which needs to be done carefully.  You might want
to track where the message went if using automatic sorting in
procmail.

What do you think?

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: [email protected] [email protected]