Re: a modest proposal

Nikolaos Daniel Willmore <uunet!columbia.edu!ndw1> writes:

> Greg Broiles <[email protected]> offered,
> "I suggest that remailer operators might find it useful to redirect
> remailing requests originating from Detweiler directly to
> [email protected]."
>
> Here are results of a somewhat unfair but curiosity driven experiment. I
> have got to admit I agree with the postmaster, but I figured it was worth
> a try. They are reproduced without permission.
>
> [Postmaster sez he doesn't care what Detweiler writes]

I was thinking that the postmaster would be annoyed by the volume, not
shocked by the content, of Detweiler's posts.

I understood Detweiler's recent posting about remailer weaknesses as a
threat to exploit those weaknesses - potentially creating hassle and
expense for the people whose accounts are used as remailers, and perhaps
even the other people with accounts on the machines which run the
remailers. He's no longer talking about (assuming he ever was) using the
remailers to make an unwelcome or politically unpopular comments - he's
now talking about using the remailer system to hurt the people who run
it and the people they share machines with. I take issue not with the
content of his messages, but their purpose and volume.

I don't know how many messages it takes to swamp a remailer. I predict
that it's more than 10 times the number of messages, redirected to
Detweiler's postmaster, than it'd take to get his mail access yanked.

His postmaster can take one of two positions:

1.      Detweiler's conduct is unacceptable and beyond even the most
basic requirements of decent net citizenship; and the postmaster will be
in an excellent position to address this concern locally.

2.      Detweiler's conduct is within the boundaries of acceptable
behavior; in which case, objections to it showing up in his mailbox
and on his machine (as well as everyone else's) seem hardly appropriate.

If you've ever seen _Brazil_, picture the two maintenance guys with
their pressure-suits filling up with sewage, after Robert DeNiro (?)
replaced their air-supply tubing with sewage tubing. I figure that
piping some of lance.colostate.edu's sewage back onsite seems only
fair.

- --
Greg Broiles                   "Sometimes you're the windshield,
[email protected]             sometimes you're the bug." -- Mark Knopfler