Re: [email protected] speaks

On Thu, 20 Jan 1994, Peter shipley wrote:

> Since [email protected] will not aid us in
> requesting L. Detweiler <[email protected]>
> to behave I guess we will have to start cc'ing (and forward
> out prevous emailings) to
>
> 	[email protected]
>
>     as well as:
>
> 	Julian Kateley  <[email protected]>
> 	(303) 491-5778
>     and
> 	Stew McPherson  <[email protected]>
> 	(303) 491-7214
>
>     being that they are the Administrative and Technical Contact
>     for the Domain Name COLOSTATE.EDU

I decided long ago that I did not want to participate in the Detweiler
sage.  However now I just can't keep my mouth shut anymore!

[flame mode on]

Do you fight noise by being noisy yourself??  To me you won't be much
better than Detweiler himself by adopting this aproach.  You have read
postmaster's statement on the Detweiler case, and in my opinion his
views must be respected.

It is a little strange to observe a group fighting for privacy and
anonymity in the electronic community start whining about harassments
from anonymous users.  We all know that cryptography, anonymity etc are
two-edged swords, and we all have argued that the "good" properties more
than offset the "bad" ones.  Now we have tasted one of the "bad"
properties of anonymity on the net -- perhaps a healthy lesson.

The Detweiler problem seems to be solving itself.  I haven't seen any
posts neither to this list or to any of "his" usenet groups lately and
postmaster indicates that it is Detweiler's intention to stop the
flooding of the net.  It is only us other users, now including myself,
who keep the memory of Detweiler alive.  Let's give it a break.

[flame mode off]

-- Rolf

Rolf Michelsen         Phone:  +47 73 59 87 33
SINTEF DELAB           Email:  [email protected]
7034 Trondheim         Office: C339
Norway