Re: Randomness of a bit string

On Wed, 26 Jan 1994, Lefty wrote:

> >I remember one of those MENSA-type tests where your were supposed to
> >find the pattern in a set of numbers.  One of the strings were the
> >stops of a NY City subway line!
>
> ...thereby demonstrating that Stephen Hawking, for instance, is probably
> not qualified to join the ranks of Mensa.
>
> I wish people would learn to distinguish "intelligence" from "high
> tolerance for retaining massive amounts of pointless trivia".
>
> Sorry, just a peeve of mine.

There is a major difference.  At any given Mensa RG, there is the group
playing trivial pursuit, and there is the other group...  "Hell's
Mensans" are notorious for "livening" up events.  Of course we are also
the ones responsible for the O'Hare Ramada getting cold to our parties.
I wonder if they ever straightened out their pay-per-view cable problems...

-ck