Re: Remailer Noise Traffic

In message <[email protected]>, "W. Kinney" writes:
>Is there some reason why lots of 'punks _aren't_ running a simple script
>that will, say, fire a message to one's self through a chain of remailers
>every time you log on or at random intervals or something?
>
>This is a nice little opportunity for everybody to help out the remailer
>operators. God knows, this list seems to be capable of generating
>sufficient noise -- all we have to d
 is harness it :-). The question is,
>how much traffic is _too_ much? Recommendations from remailer people?

Greetings!  We are the remailer people!  We mean no harm to your net and its
users.

I have been toying with similar ideas for a while, and would like to start
implementing this feature.  My remailer can certainly afford to sendmail
about 2000 times a day, which is at least 10 to 100 times the actual
traffic.  Actual traffic would be completely lost in a stream of noise.

However, for this to be effective at all, it has to be all encrypted, so
noise will be indistinguishible from signal.

I am currently working on an alias remailer with lots of encryption.
Because users are going to be required to run pgp, I might as well also
require them to accept about 10 messages a day of noise, and run slocal or
something like it to filter it out.  They should also send me about 10
messages a day of noise, and I will certainly be implementing stuff to
filter that out.

I certanily wouldn't mind if people sent me a bunch of mail with

	Anon-Send-To: nobody@soda

which will just go to /dev/null.  If someone writes some scripts to send
this mail automatically several times a day, go ahead and post it and run
it, because that would be great.  I might actually post such a script later
on tonight.  My soda remailer does not yet support encryption, so that will
have to wait.  Since this isn't going to be encrypted, I would recomend that
you send mail that's slightly different each time, and includes lots of good
keywords (cocaine, machine guns, environmentalism, bomb, allah, etc).