Re: archiving on inet

>The reason selling a tape of a radio show isn't legal is because then
>you can play it as often as you like.

Even if you made play-once-and-then-self-destruct tapes like on Mission
Impossible, selling them would still be illegal. You've made an unauthorized
copy, plain and simple.

>You can archive them forever, and in fact thats part of the news software.

Yes, you, a recipient, can archive them forever. You *cannot* distribute
that archive in any form whatsoever.

I'm struggling with drawing an appropriate distinction between CD-ROM as
newsfeed medium and CD-ROM as archive medium. If a newsfeed provider sent
you a quarterly newsfeed on CD-ROM which you then fed into your normal news
system as if it were a live feed, after which you broke the CD-ROM; that
looks like a high-bandwidth-delay-product newsfeed. If a provider sent you a
quarterly newsfeed in Cnews directory form which you then mounted onto your
news system, I'd buy that as a newsfeed. If the provider sent to a newsfeed
in Cnews form which you mounted someplace other than as a part of the news
system - now an archive has been created and sold. But if you mounted it as
part of Cnews and then copied it via news onto your own CD-ROM drive, then
it seems like it'd be a personal archive.

No one said this was gonna be easy. It seems like I'm swallowing camels and
straining out flies, but these flies are camel-sized.

Jason

Copyright 1994 Jason Zions. Copying or retransmission for the purpose of
propagation of the Cypherpunks mailing list in email or newsfeed form is
permitted, except that no copy may be made on any permanent digital optical
storage medium.