Re: New Remailer Up.

[email protected]  writes:

> Jon Boone wrote,
> "  Is the sendmail (I assume you are using sendmail for SMTP services) daemon
>   set up so that it *doesn't* log to /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog [or any other
>   syslog facility]?  Otherwise, it may well be possible to track the usage
>   of the remailer through browsing the syslog logs.
>
> No, fortunately for other users, I do not have root access on Netcom ;-).
> So who is going to be doing this browsing? Other Netcom users can't read
> the mqueue:
>
> qwerty: cd /usr/spool
> qwerty: ls
> cron        lpd.lock    news        news4       uucp
> locks       mail        news2       rwho        uucppublic
> lpd         mqueue      news3       secretmail  uumaps
> qwerty: cd mqueue
> mqueue: Permission denied
> qwerty: ls -la
> total 480
> drwxr-sr-x 15 bin           512 Feb  2 01:38 .
> drwxr-xr-x 13 root          512 Feb  2 01:38 ..
> drwxr-sr-x  4 root          512 Feb  2 01:38 cron
> drwxr-sr-x  2 uucp          512 Feb  2 08:30 locks
> drwxrwsr-x  2 daemon        512 Feb  2 03:47 lpd
> -rw-r--r--  1 root            4 Feb  2 01:38 lpd.lock
> drwxrwsrwt  4 root       430080 Feb  2 08:37 mail
> drwxr-s---  2 root        18944 Feb  2 08:37 mqueue
> drwxr-xr-x284 netnews     12288 Feb  2 05:29 news
> drwxr-sr-x  2 netnews       512 Aug 28 17:03 news2
> drwxr-sr-x  2 netnews       512 Aug 28 17:03 news3
> drwxr-sr-x  2 netnews       512 Jan 16 19:56 news4
> drwxr-sr-x  2 root          512 Jan 31 14:40 rwho
> drwxrwsrwx  2 bin           512 Nov  3 08:49 secretmail
> drwxr-sr-x 11 uucp          512 Feb  2 01:38 uucp
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root           20 Nov 26 15:48 uucppublic -> /usr/hack/uucppubl
ic
> drwxrwxr-x  5 netnews     12288 Feb  2 05:48 uumaps

  Well, anyone who is the group which owns mqueue (you need to do an ls -ldg
  to show this info) can read the directory and (likely) the logs.  It would
  not be unusual for the daemon or bin id's to be allowed read access to these
  files/directories, so anyone who could exploit the latest sendmail bug
  could end up reading those files...

  And that doesn't even go into the potential access by legitimate sysadmins
  who may not care too much about other users' privacy...

> I'm using Hal's remailer, so ask him the details of what I have running.
> How many of those private sites with remailers having root, keep NO personal
> logs? Any? I would like to compile a more detailed listing of the details
> about each remailer's capabilities, situation, and policy statements.

  As would I.

> If someone sends anonymous mail through my mailer victimizing someone in
> a criminal manner, and law enforcement convinces Netcom to check the logs,
> then more power to them. If someone sends mail discussing large doses of
> vitamin C, when vitamin supplementys are banned a year from now, and the
> FDA wants to arrest them, and Netcom allows them to see the mqueue then
> that would be unfortunate indeed. I am running a remailer. Here is the
> situation. What more can I offer? I would ask people to look at the
> various remailers and ask in a street smart practical manner what the
> pros and cons of each one is.

  Good advice.  Caveat Emptor!

> What, exactly, does the mqueue record? How long does it get saved?

  Here is an example of what sendmail might log to syslog:

Feb  2 12:31:18 localhost: 15068 sendmail: AA15068: message-id= \
		<[email protected]>
Feb  2 12:31:18 localhost: 15068 sendmail: AA15068: from= \
		<[email protected]>, size=4402, class=0, \
		received from mailer.psc.edu (128.182.62.100)
Feb  2 12:31:19 localhost: 15070 sendmail: AA15068: to=<[email protected]>, \
		delay=00:00:13, stat=Sent

I have re-formatted the lines to make them easier to read...  This is the log
of you sending this mail to me...

Here's my previous response, which I sent to the list, logged again...

Feb  2 10:00:27 localhost: 11889 sendmail: AA11889: message-id= \
			   <[email protected]>
Feb  2 10:00:27 localhost: 11889 sendmail: AA11889: from=<[email protected]>,
			   size=1391, class=0, received from local
Feb  2 10:00:31 localhost: 11891 sendmail: AA11889: to=<[email protected]>,
			   delay=00:00:04, stat=Sent

And here's the list sending it back to me...

Feb  2 10:19:09 localhost: 13086 sendmail: AA13086: message-id= \
			   <[email protected]>
Feb  2 10:19:09 localhost: 13086 sendmail: AA13086: from= \
			   <[email protected]>, size=2028, class=0, \
			   received from mailer.psc.edu (128.182.62.100)
Feb  2 10:19:11 localhost: 13089 sendmail: AA13086: to=<[email protected]>, \
			   delay=00:00:02, stat=Sent

If the mailer recieves a lot of messages, then it would not be easy (if at all
possible to correlate the messages received with the id's that they were sent
out to...).  If the traffic load is small, then correlation is fairly easy.

Similarly, if the load is very high, it might become easier -- if I set up a
script which sent mail to a particular anonid every 2 seconds or so, I would
probably be able to correlate, given access to the syslog logs.  Of course,
I could forgo the logs and just look at the packets passed on your network,
but we were discussing the use of the syslog logs.

> I needed remailers to maintain some simple privacy by distancing myself
> from the character Xenon.

  Aside from traffic obscuring random messages, a forced, random delay and
  a medium sized load of traffic seem to be the best ways to defeat the use
  of the syslog logs.  Disabling syslog calls in sendmail (or whatever you
  use for SMTP) would be an even better tack to take.  Remember folks, even
  if I can't get root when the machine is up, I may be able to force it into
  single-user mode and access the logs then -- physical security of the
  machines [as well as software security] is an important consideration of
  *any* remailer you use.

> No 5AM fone calls and letters from people asking me to send them PGP....
> I figured if I was going to become the largest volume user of the remailers,
> I should become a remailer myself. The other option was to use the Netcom
> account to directly mail out what I am sending to people, but that wasn't
> as fun of an idea.

  I'm not advising you to not be a remailer, but you should be aware of the
  potential holes -- even if you can't do anything about them...

  If you're concerned with your own personal privacy, I can't think of a
  good way to ensure that you will not be "outed" from your anon-id.
  Even if you use a personal machine which connects to the network via a
  dialup slip IP pool, the provider is likely to keep logs of what machines
  have access to that pool and who their owners are...  And, of course, a
  permanent connection (T1 or the like) is a dead give-away...

  We really need the IP security -- the proposal put forward by Mssr. Blaze
  and Mssr. Ioannidis for encrypted-IP would help.. but you still rely on
  having the other side *not* log...

 Jon Boone | PSC Networking | [email protected] | (412) 268-6959
 PGP Public Key fingerprint =  23 59 EC 91 47 A6 E3 92  9E A8 96 6A D9 27 C9 6C