Re: PGPTOOLS and Magic Money

> I've got the code written to check the whole coin, and I found another
> subtle bug caused by precision setting. Since setting precision does not
> seem to affect the speed of the decryption (I think the mpi library sets
> it internally during modexp) I'm just going to fix it at MAX_UNIT_PRECISION
> and leave it there. Tomorrow I will strip out all of these damn things.

Yea, MPI lets the precision.  This is not a bug -- the MPI library
needs to know how big the number is.  (The bug is that its done in a
global variable and not as a part of the number internally, but thats
a different matter).  The reason it needs to know is so that it
doesn't need to perform large operations for small numebers.  For
example, there is no reason to perform a 1024-bit modexp when you are
dealing with 384-bit numbers!

FYI: I have both big-endian and little-endian machines at my disposal.
Also, I was having problems building PGP Tools under mips-ultrix --
you have some global variables in ptd that you expect from time.h
which don't exist.  In particular, timezone and daylight.

-derek

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.3a
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=uBDq
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----