RE: Magic Money questions

On Sat, 5 Feb 1994 [email protected] wrote:

[ Stuff deleted ]

> >Similarly, how can the consumer trust the bank's representation that
> >money has already been spent?  Surely the bank should be required to
> >publish a list of cancelled coins and timestamps with a running MD5
> >hash periodically for inspection by the unwashed masses.
>
> There is no punishment for double-spending. The transaction is simply thrown
> out. The bank, in fact, has no way to identify the customer. What could the
> bank hope to accomplish by claiming that a coin was already spent? It can
> print more coins at any time, so it has no reason to cheat. A server will
> have to protect its reputation by not printing too much money or otherwise
> making its users angry. If you want to put in an MD5, it wouldn't be hard.

[ more stuff deleted ]

False!  If digital coins represent some kind of value the bank will
"earn" something by not accepting a coin presented for deposit.  The bank
will not have to provide the value or the service the depositor is
entitled to.  This was also pointed out by someone else posting to this list.

I haven't studied the maths and protocols of the original post to
closely, but just to show that it is possible to *prove* double spending
I present a deposit protocol.  I don't know if this protocol fits in the
implementation discussed here.

If I remember correctly, some of Chaum's (?) digital coin systems proved
double spending by using a protocol resembling the one below:
   1)  Depositor presents a part of the coin to the bank and asks "Is
       this coin already deposited?"
   2)  The bank answers "yes" and proves this by revealing some
       information about the coin which it should now know unless the
       coin has already been deposited.  The "no" answer together with
       the information presented by the depositor is signed by the bank
       and is a *commitment* by the bank to accept the coin when the
       "real" deposit takes place.
   3)  The depositor sends the rest of the coin to the bank if the answer
       was a "no".
This is taken from memory -- I could probably produce some references if
someone is interested.

By the way -- I don't think you should use the "digicash" word to
describe this implementation.  David Chaum's company carries that name!

-- Rolf

Rolf Michelsen         Phone:  +47 73 59 87 33
SINTEF DELAB           Email:  [email protected]
7034 Trondheim         Office: C339
Norway