STEG: Obtaining digital audio accuratly

[email protected] sez:
>The SGI drives use modified
>firmware and (AFAIK) are not available elsewhere, but you can get the
>Apple drives at Circuit City, Sears, etc.

SGI uses modified firmware on their DAT/DDS units to read audio
daata, but I am pretty sure the Toshiba mech is stock.  Why?

I have a program called direct to disk from OMI that lets me load
audio data from an Apple CD-SC300 or the Toshiba mech, outputting
AIFF, Sound Designer II and several other file formats.  The AIFF and
SDII formats are stereo 16-bit 44.1kHz; usually the QuickTime formats
are 8 bit.  So the AIFF and SDII formats have the full bit stream.

--
Rusty H. Hodge, Cyberneticist  <[email protected]>