A questions of records...

  Perhaps I haven't been paying attention, and perhaps this question has
been posed, or answered...  Still this thought comes to mind.

  Assuming that the FBI, SS, NSA, BATF, cops in general & Current Events
all play by the "rules" for obtaining the escrow key in the first place,
what guarantees that they "destroy" their copy at the end of an
investigation?

  Suppose John Smith Late Nite BBS is suspected of aiding in the
transmission of copyrighted software.  The proper warrants are obtained,
the keys are released, and his BBS is monitored for a set amount of
time.  No evidence is found, so the official investigation ends.  But
Agent Joe Smarty always gets his board, so he keeps the "keys" to
periodically check the BBS...

  Perhaps we need to make known that the Key Escrow proceedure, even at
it's best, only "protects" the privacy of the citizen the first time.

-ck