Re: Mac encryption

> From: Ron Davis <[email protected]>
>
> >> What is everyones opinion of the best encryption software forthe Mac?
> >> Frederic Halper
> >> [email protected]
> >
> >MacPGP, available by anonymous ftp from the soda.berkeley.edu site, is
> >the only one I know of using public key methods, and hence the only
> >one of real interest to Cypherpunks.
>
>         I find this to be a strange statement.  Do we have no interest
>         in non-public key methods?  Seems the Cypherpunks should have
>         an interest in all forms of crypto.  Most users don't currently
>         use public key becuase they just want to keep thier boss from
>         sitting down at thier computer and reading the resumes they wrote
>         for other companies.  This can be accomplished with symetrical
>         crypto just as well, if not faster than PGP.

Cypherpunks do have an interest in all forms of crypto, but there are
very good reasons why public key is more desirable than symmetric for "our
purposes."  This is at the very root of the crypto revolution and the
cypherpunk ethos.  Have you done the basic reading?  (That's a serious
question, not sarcasm.)

PGP _does_ symmetric crypto.

> >Commerical products (like the various "Kent Marsh" products) are
> >mostly DES-or-weaker and are oriented toward local file protection.
> >(MacPGP will do that, too, of course).
>
>         Cryptomatic does come with Triple DES which is still a very
>         strong method.

And MacPGP comes with IDEA, which is at least as strong (as far as we know).
And of course, it does all the public-key encryption and key-management as
well.  A pretty incredible package, considering its size and cost.

>         Unfortunatly MacPGP's biggest draw back is that its interface
>         is poor and it is hard to use.

I disagree.

>         Can't stop without mentioning that my company make a product
>         called Citadel which does DES encryption.

Hmmm...

   --Dave.