Re: Infomercials, FUD... time?

On Thu, 24 Feb 1994, Kragen J. Sittler wrote:

> I suggest that we air an infomercial, or series thereof, urging the citizens
> of the US to protest.  Phone calls to religious groups, special-interest
> newsletters, and even mainstream newscasters would also be a help.

calling the 700 club would be a good start for religious groups they
already dislike the Clipper chip

> Most of us cypherpunks have little income.  A few, such as Winston Timothy
> C. May, have enough for an infomercial or two.  But there is supposedly an
> industry coalition headed by Novell to oppose Clipper.  Is there anyone here
> who can successfully solicit these companies for money?

what about pooling our resources, im sure we have enough subscribers that
might like to DONATE money for info-mercials. Hell, im not rich but i can
spare some dollars for this

> I don't know enough details to do this.  I don't know the cost of a half-hour
> infomercial on a national network at 11:00 at night.  But I know it can be
> bought.

howabout some time on CNN and FCN??

> I don't know which companies are involved in the coalition.  Nor do I know
> how committed they are.  But I suspect we could raise enough money... and we
> do have a number of experienced public speakers and broadcasters among us.
>
> If the public knows the facts, just the known, confirmed facts, many of them
> will be outraged.  The response that a single half-hour infomercial could
> produce in a nation of 260 million would make the puny tens of thousands of
> votes on the CPSR petition look insignificant... as indeed they are.
>
> C'mon folks... what's stopping us?

The government could try :-)
> Kragen

                      />