Re: clipper + enaction = illegal alternate encryption

On Tue, 1 Mar 1994 [email protected] wrote:

> [email protected] writes:
>
> >Now why bother going through all the trouble to take out the chip? Why
> >not just leave it in there and send RSA encrypted over your phone line?
> >Once they _DO_ decrypt your clipper, they will still have another barrier.
> >Leaving the chip in there does make it a little harder even for law
> >enforcement doesn't it?
>
> This is the reason all other forms of encryption will be outlawed if the
> clipper proposal goes through. I foresee at least two lines of enforcement.
> The first is that one is held in contempt of court (assuming they can find
> some charges to press) until you give them your key. How long can they keep
> you in the slammer on a contempt charge? This option is already available
> and seems to work, at least so far.

I am talking about the clipper of today, not tommorow.  When the
government decides to outlaw all other schemes of encryption then we have
a different story.  I was responding to someone who was going out of their
way (or said they would) to remove the chips from his/her equipment.

===-|)/\\/|V|/\/\ (_)/_\|_|\_/(_)/_\|_| Stop by for an excursion into the-===
===-|)||| | |\/\/  mud.crl.com 8888 (_) Virtual Bay Area!                -===