Re: (fwd) Re: What's so bad about a Surveillance State?

> Citizen-Unit Miller is to be commended for his
> recognition that the common good is served when the state
> fulfills its surveillance obligations.

> [more funny stuff deleted]

I enjoyed Tim May's post.  I'm hoping you all realize my post was
simply an electronic stick jabbed into the hornet's nest.

I do *not* think a surveillance state is a good thing.  I
deliberately constructed my post to get people's attention.  I want
people (other than just Cypherpunks) to think about life in a
surveillance state.

One goal of mine is to construct a list of all the seemly positive
aspects of surveillance technology.  I don't think the US will
suddenly become a total surveillance state overnight.  I do fear the
US is evolving into one.  Each "positive" use of surveillance
technology may become accepted for one reason or another, because, by
individually, they may not seem too harmful.  However, the cumulative
effect of the incorporation of all these "positive" uses of
surveillance will transform the US (or any country) into a awful
place to live.

It may be easier to persuade people not to support government
sponsored/controlled surveillance technology if all the "positive"
uses are described together, rather than individually.  Then again,
maybe not.  I can at least try.

[email protected]