Re: Radio Networking

Ed Switalski <[email protected]>:

> *** use Meteorscatter links:  A low power, fairly covert, burst
>     transmission medium.

[email protected] (David L Womack):

> Why worry about unliscensed?  I believe I've seen a laser (low
> power Helium/Neon), possibly in the Edmund Scientific catalog,
> that you can modulate.  You'd have a nearly impenetrable, highly
> directional signal.

True...  But a simple radio transciever is much cheaper and easier to
build than a laser system or sophisticated meteor bounce hardware.  It
might be possible to use a highly focused beam from a LED instead of a
laser.  Unfortunantly, there is still the problem with the beam getting
blocked...

> Failing that, stick to 250mw or less;  unless I'm mistaken, that's
> almost completely unregulated, and certainly doesn't require a
> license.  Lots of hand held CB units, and the Maxon headsets fall
> in this category.

About how far can one transmit with 250mw?

> For higher powers, you might consider getting a Ham license,
> probably at the technician grade.   It's true that you aren't
> permitted to send encrypted messages...

Now, how many cypherpunks do you know that would send unencrypted data
over the aitwaves???  Not many.

I know there isn't much respect for the law, but I don't want to make an
obvious ass of myself.

> but did you know that many hams use SSTV (Slow scan
> Television) to send still photographs around the *_World_*
> on long wave (i.e. 10 meter) bands?  Of course, only a
> shamefully irresponsible person would think of violating
> their duties as a Citizen-Unit (per Mr. May) and use
> Stegonography to include an encrypted message...

Seems like more trouble than it's worth...  certainly not a convienient
e-mail system.