Re: Digital Cash

Mike Duvos <[email protected]> wrote:

> Assuming the transactions are done via a tamperproof module
> distributed by the issuer, and the math is arranged such that
> using a note in multiple transactions reveals the perpetrator,
> the system prevents anonymous double-spending while still
> providing all the benefits of digital cash.

How does the 'tamperproof' nature of the software help at all?
It's still possible to double-spend in any off-line cash system
by making multiple copies of the tamper-proof modules.. the only
security provided is in obscuring the algorithm.

Speaking of digital cash, many thanks to the author of the
'magic money' software.  I am in the process of integrating it
with a local bulletin board, which should hopefully be available
on the net sometime this summer.

:::*::: Jeremy S. Day.