From [email protected]  Mon Mar 28 04:08:10 1994
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 03:10:17 -0500 (EST)
From: Richard Civille <[email protected]>
Subject: Summit Coordinates are Coming
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]

Good Morning!  Please repost on other lists/online communities/community
networks you participate in if they are not receiving these announcements.

Here's the wave building around the Summit.  More coming soon.  Stay tuned:

*	The Summit will take place Tuesday, March 29th from 8:30AM to 5:00
	at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill.

*	Attendance in DC is now over 600 people.  We can take no further
	registrations.

*	Hundreds email messages and net postings have been generated around the
	issues the Summit will address, and that's only the materials we've seen
	on the few lists we can monitor with extremely limited resources.  We've
	heard from teachers in Columbia, network managers in Singapore,
	Free-Nets in Canada, rural librarians, and citizen advisory groups
	to state telecommunications initiatives to mention only a few.

*	About 40 people around the country offered to help organize
	offline discussion groups.  To date, we've received reports from about a
	dozen so far.  At least one group now plans to conduct further NII
	organizing activities in their state.

*	Portions of the Summit will be broadcast live in 20 radio markets
	around the country including major metropolitan areas.  We will list the
	participating radio stations sometime on Monday when the full list is
	compiled.

*	Nine foundations and the Administration's Information
	Infrastructure Taskforce have directly contributed to the event.

*	There is space on C-Span's Tuesday broadcast schedule for a
	"public policy conference" but no commitment yet.  This is not unusual
	for C-Span.  Please note that there is not a specific commitment from
	C-Span to carry this event live.  This is their normal way of handling
	events.

*	The Summit gopher will be announced tomorrow.  We are VERY
	interested in having your organization's gopher server establish a
	pointer to the Summit gopher.  Please let us know if you would like
	to do this.  We will announce the Summit gopher coordinates sometime on
	Monday.

*	The Summit Mosaic server will also be announced.

*	The Summit panels and proceedings will be quickly summarized and
	posted throughout the day to the Nets, to the Summit gopher and Mosaic
	servers.  We urge you to respond to these
	summaries with SPECIFIC questions addressed to SPECIFIC panelists.  We
	will do our best to forward several questions per panel into the live
	discussions.  Send you questions and ongoing comments to the Summit at:

			<[email protected]>

*	Followup activities and organizing efforts have already begun.
	Please let us know how you would like to get involved.
	Remember:  The public doesn't get the chance to design new
	infrastructure very often.

Center for Civic Networking                        Richard Civille
P.O. Box 65272                                     Washington Director
Washington, DC 20035                               [email protected]
(202) 362-3831

Stanton McCandlish * [email protected] * Electronic Frontier Found. OnlineActivist
"In a Time/CN poll of 1,000 Americans conducted last week by Yankelovich
Partners, two-thirds said it was more important to protect the privacy of
phone calls than to preserve the ability of police to conduct wiretaps.
When informed about the Clipper Chip, 80% said they opposed it."
- Philip Elmer-Dewitt, "Who Should Keep the Keys", TIME, Mar. 14 1994