Re: Positive uses for PGP

> There is no prize for the best story, but for what it's worth, I'll
> sign the public key of the person who submits the best story by
> Monday, April 11th.

I certainly don't mean to deny the service Mr. Zimmerman has done the
on-line community, nor do I wish to imply that the above offer is
attractive, but I'm a little confused.  If Mr. Zimmerman's signature
(or anyone else's for that matter) is available on such light pretenses,
what is the value towards ensuring authenticity?  I was under the
impression that key signing was to be done between associates who can
attest to the tangible reality of the entities behind the keys.  (No,
I'm not Detweilering; I speak of the ostensible use of the signature
chain.)

I guess I could be misinterpreting the whole thing.