VISA's digital cash

Today's (April 3) Washington Post business section has an article on
a consortium of VISA and banks working on a digital cash card.

Did I sleep thru the messages, or has the list been scooped?

Basic story is that the card is a smartcard, designed to be reused,
and suitable for small quantities. Nothing in the article about what would
prevent it from storing large amounts. No serious technical discussion
either, but I infer that it is an online cash card.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 [email protected]
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>