one small comment about a big problem

    tmp> unix passwords represent a reasonable amount of
    tmp> security. they prevent me from hijacking your account. more
    tmp> sophisticated levels exist.

I would take issue with this statement on its face. I refer you all to
the recent House hearings on Internet Security, and the statements
made by all of the panel members.

Reusable passwords are dead. Anyone who insists on using them is part
of the problem, not part of the solution. If you won't do it for
yourself, do it for your neighbors who will be attacked from your
site.

--Strat